23 August 2005

Wheel of Fortune


Celebrating the accomplishment of another difficult management challenge!

Hi, I'm back.

To the three of you who read this, thanks for checking up on me. It's nice to know that you care, and I apologize for keeping you hanging.

My first week MIA was mostly because I was working several double-shifts (6:30am-10pm). Often I get some down-time to write, but each of those days I had to bust my hump for the full 15 hours.

Last week I was in beautiful Schaumburg, Illinois. Yes, I can see you all turning emerald with envy, but I wasn't there to enjoy the manicured lawns of the industrial parks, or to shop at the mall complexes dotting the landscape. I was in training - ATM training to be precise. No, I wasn't learning how to make deposits without the assistance of a live teller, the acronym stands for "Advance To Management."

For three glorious days I basked in the fluorescent glow of a small room at our corporate headquarters, soaking up knowledge from our crack Human Resources team. Ah, what fun we had. Eight straight hours of PowerPoint presentations, featuring such stimulating subjects as Finance, Sales, and delivering "Knock Their Socks Off Service."

I kid, because last year in Oregon I was in charge of the dizzyingly important task of stocking jars of baby food and boxes of crackers at Winco.

The reasons why I could be considered an incompetent loser in one field and management material in another elude me, but I'm not complaining. DAVs (another in the myriad of acronyms A/V geeks love to use, meaning "Director of Audio Visual") make an obscene amount of money. Salary information is confidential, of course, but one Director let slip that he was making at least a third more a year than I was making at the height of my career at Warner Brothers.

Yesterday, my own Director asked me whether I was interested in taking over our hotel, should he be promoted to another property.

Wow.

Anyway, there's no promise of anything yet, and tomorrow I'm starting back at SFSU. I made it clear to the Regional Manager that finishing my degree is a primary goal, and he still sent me to be trained, so I have to trust that they'll make it possible for me to continue. If it comes to a choice between them, I really don't know what I'm going to do. Either a big salary and an end to our financial woes, or a degree in Creative Writing.

Right. I know that for some of you it sounds idiotic. But I had no idea what job I was going to get when we moved here - the purpose of living in San Francisco was to get my B.A. and go on to get my Masters in Library Information Science. Had we no other desire in our lives than to make money, we would have stayed in our suburban home in Valencia, enjoyed the easy existence of our Master-Planned community, and I would have never left my corporate cubicle at Warner Bros.

Mia gets frustrated at me when I think like this. Not over the desire for a well-examined life, but over my tendency to project negativity into the future. I'm not looking at the big picture again, and taking a job does not mean that I'm tied to it the rest of my life.

But there is that male-stereotype part of my personality - my job is a big part of who I am. And after four years of un- and under-employment, starting over feels like a big investment of time and energy. Twenty years ago it was easy to be a grasshopper among ants. Not any more.

My daughter is sticking her bare feet on either side of my laptop, daring me to tickle them. Looks like I have some important work to do. Bye for now...

5 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

Yay, you're back, did you see any good storms in Illinois?

And isn't this how it always is, you set your mind to something, say this is the direction you want your life to go in, and then out of the blue, something crops up (or is deleberately set down in your life)to say, ah ah ahhh, not so fast buster.

I really don't know what to suggest, but I do think these might be kinds of messages from the other side.

After all, that's how I met Serge, moved to Canada, and sold the loft - all things I had already decided against doing. Huh.

23 August, 2005 15:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOoh, interesting. I have a few things to add to the I'm not doing that list.

But Yay, I'm glad you are back. Didja see the link to that other guy's teach the daughter to ride a bike post?

Sometimes you just get help, a third more salary than your highest wage is a good thing.

Bob killed himself for three years trying to be an IT guy, it just didn't work... who can know?

23 August, 2005 18:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

by the way, i haven't mentioned it to you yet, but i was doing the math the other morning, and it seems that we will have one if not two sets of braces to pay for within the next five to eight years. how's that for a run-on sentence? mia

23 August, 2005 23:13  
Blogger pushthebutton,max! said...

Mia - point taken. Smooch!

TW - mostly sunny, slightly humid. Lots of cicadas in the trees, and I think I saw a cardinal. The day we left there were thunderstorms and my flight was delayed by a couple of hours. Didn't get home until about 3am.

em - got the link, thanks! Very funny stuff. By the way, don't start a sentence with "Bob killed himself." I almost had a heart attack.

25 August, 2005 09:56  
Blogger r said...

Glad you be back.

I keep waiting for the "life that happens when you're planning other things."

This is my ninth year teaching at the same school. Same grade level, same principal. Still live in SB, still single, still have almost all the same friends.

I've become a fuddy duddy.

27 August, 2005 18:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home