This is the place where it usually falls apart

I'm feeling an extreme amount of resistance to writing right now.
I put so much effort into those first pieces, and know I can't possibly keep up that kind of pace. I've been writing and rewriting, and the more I do it the more I hate the results. It comes out intellectually distant, and emotionally dead.
This is useless. I'm trying to write a conclusion for something that hasn't even been resolved.
I'm going to have to push through this, even though it feels really, really wrong.
I may not be able to conclude this the way I thought. Perhaps I have to piece these last thoughts together a little at a time, over many posts. It's like putting a puzzle together with no box to show you the picture you're making. I feel cursed to forever be focused on tiny details, and never getting the big picture.
I just know I can't stop or I'm dead again.


2 Comments:
Did you read the Anne Lamott piece on writing that Rick linked in his last post?
Write for the sake of writing. Not writing well, not writing to impress, just to write.
It's all good man.
And I knew who you were immediately.
Hey, thanks for stopping by! Yeah, I did see that link, and I like her a lot. I read one of her novels years ago called "Rosie," and I have "Bird by Bird" although I haven't gotten through it yet.
Some of the best stuff comes out of pain: writing, music, comedy... Her description of humiliation onstage with Grace Paley (Rick's link: 12/04/97) is a great example of how you can still make something beautiful out of an experience you would never wish upon yourself.
Post a Comment
<< Home