More On Extinction

Coincidentally, I saw an article in Newsweek this morning that echos my last post.
Polish physicist Adam Lipowski, after working up a computer model of evolution, noticed that "genetic mutations, accumulating over millennia, regularly produce 'superpredators' - killers so powerful that they destroy the entire food chain, including themselves."
"Who were the Earth's great superpredators? Scientists aren't sure, and Lipowski says that looks can be deceiving. 'For all we know, it could be a bacterium,' he says. 'It doesn't have to eat all the other species - it just has to change the equilibrium.'
"That sounds familiar to conservationists, many of whom believe that humans are superpredators. Lipowski is cagey ('We can not implement human beings in our model'), but he is willing to say which species might flourish after the next big extinction - and it's not us. 'It will be something very different, something currently considered very poorly adapted,' he says. So another maxim might become scientific truth: the meek shall inherit the earth."
But don't worry. the average mass extinction appears to occur every 26 million years, which means we've got about 10 million years to continue overfishing and destroying the ozone layer.
Besides, we'll all be Raptured out of our panties before that happens, right?


8 Comments:
Besides, we'll all be Raptured out of our panties before that happens, right?
Uh, can you say that...? Don't you think they wear panties in Heaven? Only bad people don't wear their panties... right?
But aren't there like, magic Mormon panties? Some kind of special undies?
I saw it once in a movie.
I know I'm taking you both too literally, but in all the imagery I've been witness to, people just fly up into the sky without their clothes.
In the "Left Behind" series of books (yes I have actually read some of them), pilotless planes fall out of the sky, driverless cars crash into each other, and little piles of clothes (including panties) are left in their seats.
Although I was very interested to find out how the authors would approach the symbolism-laden text and create a realistic world of events, the writing is quite horrid, and it gets worse as the books progress. At some point I couldn't stand it anymore, and decided it wasn't worth the dreadful experience of reading them just to see how Jesus was going to come back and kick the shit out of the Anti-Christ.
But I digress...
Wow, I'm totally interested in how these repressed people (no I'm not talking about all Christians) arrive at the thought of rapture not involving underwear. Why wouldn't it? Does it say something about no undies in Revelations? I mean, I could see if their bodies are left behind (though now that I think about it rapture definitely includes the whole body, right?) but not the clothes? Because it is post Adam and Eve time then?
Or a Church sanctified soft porn scenario?
Hey, what if they end up having to leave just their clothes, AND their bones? That would be creepy.
Can you imagine getting to heaven and having to flap around eternity with this jellyfish-like body? Eww.
This made me laugh helplessly. It's always the little details that wreck the whole scene. The next time I see one of those "In case of Rapture this vehicle will be unmanned" bumper stickers I'm going to be snorting and thinking disrespectful things about underwear and jellyfish instead of the kneejerk reaction which is arch disgust.
I'm pretty sure that Mormon underwear stays put. But then, do they even have Rapture (tm).
Woops, that word is starting to amuse me helplessly all on it's own.
What?! There is NOT a bumper sticker like that.
You know around 15000 feet all the bodies will begin to freeze, maybe that's the plan, freeze em, fix the earth and then defrost, poof new eden.
Forgive my blasphemy, giggle.
Well, all I can say is when I get Raptured, I hope I'm not wearing my laundry day undies.
Wait, maybe if I am, they'll turn me away?
And... thinking about this, let's say the Rapture happens, and someone has a Brazillian Bikini Wax?
Wouldn't it suck if you did everything right, but forgot Heaven has a dress code?
Post a Comment
<< Home