USA! USA! ... USA?

Okay. I have to admit that I've been a non-political creature for most of my life.
In my teens and twenties, the world of government was like another planet. What they did had very little to do with my life, and I was happy being mostly ignorant about it. I was dealing with people on a face to face basis, and I really didn't believe in anything that controlled the way people lived their lives, as long as no one was doing anything to hurt anyone else.
However.
I have watched and listened to media become progressively more conservative, promoting a message of self-righteous anger, contempt and intolerance.
I have seen the outlets that control what information we receive become absorbed by a few large corporations.
I have seen a government that promotes legislation to favor corporations, permitting sometimes criminal methods, repeatedly taking actions to reduce corporate accountability.
I have been witness to a steady chipping away of the rights of common people, and the destruction of all programs that support the common welfare.
I have watched the right wing visciously attack the left, and repeatedly attempt (often successfully) to not only overpower, but if possible, destroy their opponents.
I have heard the people in charge of our country make it clear that they do not trust us with the truth. They do not wish to be questioned. They do not allow dissenting opinions. And I have never seen them, under any circumstances, question their own motives or admit to any mistakes.
I know they began by fighting for what they believed to be true. But they have learned to fight for it in ways that destroy the truth.
What will result from this?
Germany fought to change what they believed to be an intolerable situation following World War I. How, in trying to make things better, did they make themselves into monsters? Were they a different species? Did their entire population go mad? How did they cross the line that separated them from the rest of humanity? How did they convince themselves that they were doing the right thing?
I want to try to explore what is wrong with the way the current administration is handling the power they have been given, using as much factual information as possible. I feel that the pendulum has swung too far in one direction, and the force of it threatens to break the entire mechanism.
I see a movement on the left to challenge the bullying behavior of the right by matching it in intensity. Perhaps this is necessary to pull the pendulum back into balance. I hope that this is a healthy anger, and that the forces pulling in the other direction will have the wisdom to know when to let go. I certainly do not see that in the behavior of those now in control.


2 Comments:
It seems you think the left have all the answers and will bring a peaceful utopia to the world.
Wrong.
They act in the same way when in power. America will find out when they are re-elected. I can tell you I live in a country where the left have ruled for 6 years, and our country has suffered immensely, our society is an immoral shambles thriving on violence, hate and contempt. The left and right, and the centrists for that matter, ALL work for the same people, who are hell bent on enslaving ALL of us. But hey, its all rosey to beleive the next Government will be different. Misguided hope.
Thanks for reading my post!
Listen, I'm not interested in giving the Left power for power's sake. What I'm talking about is bringing back the balance. I don't think total control works for anyone, and right now it's way off center.
The right wing in my country is not only on a quest to control and keep the power. They've made it clear that they're willing to change the rules (and cheat, and lie) so they can make it impossible for anyone to challenge them. This includes taking apart the checks and balances we set up to avoid that problem.
I wish I could take more from your response than the feeling of complete hopelessness and cynacism. A lot of people already feel that way here, and it makes them inactive and impotent - great for the guys in control - it means they win by default.
Post a Comment
<< Home